Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Fantasy Books

The Gene of Isis by Traci Harding, published by Voyager

I've just started reading Traci Harding's latest book: The Gene of Isis and it looks like it'll be another great read. While I loved The Ancient Future Trilogy and The Alchemist's Key, her other books The Celestial Triad left me feeling somewhat disenchanted (what with the miasma of "New Age" that permeates those books), so much so that I didn't bother reading Ghostwriting or Book of Dreams.

Happily her latest work, if the rest of the book is at all like the first few pages, seems to have taken a less grating approach to the supernatural. The prologue, an entry from the journal of a character, has about it a charm reminiscent, to my mind at least, of the era in which it is set. The odd turn of phrase seems a little too modern, but the overall effect is most pleasing.

If you like fantasy, and are not averse to a bit of incarnation-hopping, then I'd thoroughly recommend giving Traci Harding a read.

On a related note, Voyager are celebrating their 10th birthday. Part of this (see the link) is a book containing a "sneak peek" of some of this years new books. I'm looking forward to a number of them, especially Trudi Canavan's new book: Priestess of the White, due for release in November.

Another book on my list of eagerly awaited new titles is Katherine Kerr's new book: The Gold Falcon (presumably to be published by HarperCollins here in Australia). There are two excerpts available on her web site.

No comments: