Wednesday, October 26, 2005

New Books

Numbers, Groups and Codes (2nd ed.) by J. F. Humphreys (University of Liverpool) and M. Y. Prest (University of Manchester)
A Gentle Introduction to Category Theory - the calculational approach by Maarten M Fokkinga
Latin: First Year by Robert J. Henle
Latin Grammar by Robert J. Henle

I seem to be racking up more and more mathematical reading material. I just bought a copy of Numbers, Groups and Codes from the Co-op Bookshop and have found the first few sections surprisingly readable. I hope that the rest of the book is as good as what I've read so far.

Another mathematical work near the top of my "to read" pile is A Gentle Introduction to Category Theory (and, at some point, his Ph.D. thesis - Law and Order in Algorithmics).

I also picked up (also from the Co-op) Latin: First Year and Latin Grammar. Along with Types and Programming Languages, Concepts, Techniques and Models of Computer Programming, Practicle Common Lisp and the assorted other and papers (especially the various Haskell papers I want to read), I've got more than enough to keep me studying for most of next year).

No comments: