Friday, September 02, 2005

Aggravation

I've just finished the second assignment for the data mining course I'm doing this semester. The one thing I got out of it is a strong desire to avoid R.

There is something about that language and system that just rubs me the wrong way. I have no idea how the type system (such as it is) works and any such understanding would be of little value (as it is dynamic anyway). I cannot understand how someone managed to write a libxml wrapper that is harder to use than the C library.

To make matters a little better, the ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) package makes editing R code and interacting with the R interpreter easy, though emacs started acting peculiarly after I installed it.

All in all, R is (in my opinion, by my standards and for my purposes) something to be avoided.

No comments: