Monday, January 10, 2005

Composable Memory Transactions

Composable Memory Transactions. Tim Harris, Simon Marlow, Simon Peyton Jones, and Maurice Herlihy. Submitted to PPoPP 2005.

I found this paper through a link from Lambda the Ultimate, a weblog about programming languages.

Though I've not yet read the complete paper, it has really impressed me. This use of monads, for me at least, justifies them in a way and to an extent that none of the rather limited set of explanations I've seen to date has been able to. The simplicity with which the transactional framework described in the paper can be used is amazing. Though I've yet to understand everything it describes (especially the semantics and implementation which sections I haven't even read yet), I think I'm going to have to get the GHC head, and return to learning Haskell.

I think I'm going to have to go through the MS Research publications sight for more interesting things to read.

No comments: